Thursday, December 25, 2014

File Cabinet Makeover - DIY Bring On The Glam Collection

$100 Bedroom Makeover!

I'm still in the throws of restyling my bedroom for less than $100.  Last week I shared the antiqued mirror I created for my bedroom for under $10!  So this week, I decided to use the remaining paint to transform this old thrift store file cabinet in a glamorous side table. 

 

WOULD YOU LIKE TO SEE A VIDEO TUTORIAL?  COMMENT BELOW!
To achieve this look, I picked up an old file cabinet from The Brown Elephant, a local thrift store. I love to donate and pick up items from this place because the proceeds support AIDS research and support services for teens.  They Rock! 

After picking up the file cabinet (which was only $18 and in great condition!) I brought it home, cleaned it with a damp sponge, removed the handles and spray painted the sides with "Chrome" Rustolium Metallic paint.  OPTIONAL: After spraying a side, I blotted it with a towel in a few spots, then sprayed it again.  This gives the surface a shiny and matte antiqued look. Skip this optional step if you'd like a completely even toned finish.

Then I sprayed the handles with "Window Effect" paint.  Last time I used the window effect paint on glass, but today I used it on the plastic. It creates a pewter effect that adds a nice contrast the shine of the metallic surface of the cabinet.

I let everything dry, replaced the handles and voila - a beautifully glam piece for my new bedroom look!  How do you like it?

If you're interested in following my bedroom restyle journey, follow this blog for updates!  :) 

Happy holidays!  See ya soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment